Why do people seem to think that suicide is some kind of joke?
A girl in a cute skirt with a gun to her head is not fashion, it’s disturbing. A ‘suicide rehearsal kit’ is not some kitschy item to have lying around your house. I keep seeing this garbage on my dash and every time I do, all I can think is “What the fuck appealed to all of the people that reblogged these posts?” Especially when I see some of these fashion shots being reblogged by friends. I already unfollowed a few people because they posted too many of these images.
[Image: A blue card box slightly open to reveal its contents of pink capsule pills. Written on the box in black text it says: ‘Suicide rehearsal kit, just to see if you could do it. Contents: A handful of pills (empty). Directions: Write a note, clean your house, set your affairs in order and take the pills.]
The only thing that I can think of is that these people must have no clue what they’re dealing with. On some level, I’m so glad that they don’t understand, however, can they not see that people are going to be offended? Someone killing themselves is not some tragic story to gossip about. Suicidal undertones does not make an image ‘edgy’. It is some thing that people really have to struggle with on both ends.
I have been depressed to the point where I wished I had enough courage to take my life. I was so sick of what was going on in my life but I knew I could never kill myself. What if I had seen something like the ‘kit’ above? What if I had been able to toy with the idea and perhaps practice these things? I’m sure the idea would seem a lot less frightening. Who knows. Maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference at all.
The point is, a lot of people are really suffering in their lives and they see suicide as a viable option. These people are not selfish or looking for attention because they are having these thoughts. They are in pain and feeling like a burden to others a lot of the time. They don’t know that there are so many people, including strangers like me, that care about their life so much and would be willing to help them out. My friend didn’t know how many people loved him. Really loved him. I don’t even think we realized until we lost him how many people cared and were affected by his death.
His death has been the most traumatizing and horrifying experience in my life for many reasons. When I see garbage like this on my dash I can’t believe that people are minimizing the gravity of the situation. Mental health is not a joke. It is something that we should be taught about from a young age and have some idea of how to deal with.
People should have enough sense to keep these images from being spread around. Every life is important. Talk to those around you and hear their stories, because I’m sure there’s more people in your life that have struggled with this issue than you would imagine. Hear their stories and how they overcame that period in their life. Realize how different your life would be if they weren’t there. I would imagine that everyone has someone in their life that has struggled with their mental health. Please think of them when you see images like this and be critical. These aren’t funny, cute, sexy or edgy images. They are offensive and working to make suicide and other mental health issues even more taboo.
I’m not sure if I really explained myself properly in this, it’s a bit of a ramble. Anyways, I love you all, stranger or not, and if you’re struggling know that I care and am here for you.
Not a ramble at all: very eloquently expressed.
- captainfishay likes this
- ohmynoti likes this
- majoringinmisanthropy reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- notheronebitesthedust likes this
- mintandspirits reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- mintandspirits likes this
- kelseyboo14 reblogged this from rabidbits
- kelseyboo14 likes this
- backtothepolicebox likes this
- geckospad reblogged this from rabidbits
- jennychewww reblogged this from rabidbits
- aimawish reblogged this from rabidbits
- tanzistleben reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- tanzistleben likes this
- teeveeteen likes this
- xaivier likes this
- xaivier reblogged this from rabidbits
- plasticvines likes this
- totally-dysfunctional reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- rotta-kerho likes this
- awfulwafflewalker likes this
- awfulwafflewalker reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- nitram-that-in-my-ass reblogged this from mindovermatterzine and added:
- crysiecat likes this
- z0mbaby likes this
- srgcpzz likes this
- japanimationgirl reblogged this from mindovermatterzine and added:
- japanimationgirl likes this
- jjarsofheartsc reblogged this from mindovermatterzine
- yesysabella reblogged this from mindovermatterzine and added:
- nothingxmuch likes this
- thiscityshined likes this
- cucumbersdontfly likes this
- circlesofcircles likes this
- mindovermatterzine reblogged this from rabidbits and added:
- kelsey--alexandra likes this
- cedarelk likes this
- rabidbits posted this