A letter written by Mr. Stephen Fry to a girl suffering from depression (Fry himself has diagnosed bipolar disorder).
I’m so sorry to hear that life is getting you down at the moment. Goodness knows, it can be so tough when nothing seems to fit and little seems to be fulfilling. I’m not sure there’s any specific advice I can give that will help bring life back its savour. Although they mean well, it’s sometimes quite galling to be reminded how much people love you when you don’t love yourself that much.
I’ve found that it’s of some help to think of one’s moods and feelings about the world as being similar to weather.
Here are some obvious things about the weather:
You can’t change it by wishing it away.
If it’s dark and rainy it really is dark and rainy and you can’t alter it.
It might be dark and rainy for two weeks in a row.
It will be sunny one day.
It isn’t under one’s control as to when the sun comes out, but come out it will.
It really is the same with one’s moods, I think. The wrong approach is to believe that they are illusions. They are real. Depression, anxiety, listlessness – these are as real as the weather – AND EQUALLY NOT UNDER ONE’S CONTROL. Not one’s fault.
They will pass: they really will.
In the same way that one has to accept the weather, so one has to accept how one feels about life sometimes. “Today’s a crap day”, is a perfectly realistic approach. It’s all about finding a mental umbrella. “Hey-ho, it’s raining inside: it isn’t my fault and there’s nothing I can do about it, but sit it out. But the sun may well come out tomorrow and when it does, I shall take full advantage.”
I don’t know if any of that is of any use: it may not seem it, and if so, I’m sorry. I just thought I’d drop you a line to wish you well in your search to find a little more pleasure and purpose in life.
Very best wishes,
- runtilyoucant likes this
- jujujoshua likes this
- ghostofanecho likes this
- agentelliebishop reblogged this from tiva-licious
- ncisprobies reblogged this from tiva-licious
- ncisprobies likes this
- kaliedoscopes-dreaming likes this
- detectivenikkiiheat reblogged this from tiva-licious
- tiva-licious reblogged this from queenkalinda
- abundantchewtoys reblogged this from arquius and added:
- captaincombusken reblogged this from morhek
- cowhatarea likes this
- morhek reblogged this from arquius
- thisissempaiternal likes this
- genericanomaly likes this
- arquius reblogged this from sassylatte
- letsgo2themalltoday reblogged this from anniihilate
- anniihilate reblogged this from klondikebar
- bangin-on-tha-dashboard likes this
- klondikebar likes this
- klondikebar reblogged this from recycled-souls
- seriouslyfuckyoujustin likes this
- stiless24 reblogged this from jsscvlnt
- walkergordons likes this
- jsscvlnt reblogged this from happyinchintz72
- slythcrimson reblogged this from andiheardeverything
- kurtblainefiances likes this
- cabbagepatchzombie likes this
- ramblingsandwanderings reblogged this from andiheardeverything
- misianiewieocokaman likes this
- onlysly likes this
- gaylovepiercingtheveil reblogged this from andiheardeverything
- gaylovepiercingtheveil likes this
- iamnotmyrosyself reblogged this from andiheardeverything
- andiheardeverything reblogged this from happyinchintz72
- jennily likes this
- citykidsoul likes this
- thrivenotsurvive reblogged this from queenkalinda
- jeniferxdawn reblogged this from geoffreytoday
- shall-we-sing-til-the-morning reblogged this from danny-mia
- shall-we-sing-til-the-morning likes this
- colbolt-artist likes this
- sandwichmonkey reblogged this from geoffreytoday
- crazedtoremain likes this
- thosedreamsofmine reblogged this from mia-danny
- bittermachine reblogged this from toxicoctopus
- mia-danny reblogged this from danny-mia
- mia-danny likes this
- upsidedownalphabet likes this
- notyourgalatea reblogged this from geoffreytoday